The 5S Game is a Lean simulation game developed by ELSE Inc. that brings your team together to learn about 5S by playing.
This simulation is supported by the 5S Online Training Module, the 5S Presentation and the 5S Templates. We strongly recommend that they are used together during the training session, because this way your team can experience the true power of what they’ve learned.
Briefly, 5S is a systematic, step-by-step process to produce a clean and well-organized work area. 5S is more than just housekeeping; it is the beginning of waste reduction and builds on the foundation of discipline.
5S is based on the premise that a clean and well-organized work place is more productive, less frustrating and safer for employees.
Just learning the concepts is not enough to feel a deep sense of understanding. By actively experimenting and applying what they’ve learned, in the safe environment of the classroom, yet being able to make mistakes and truly learn what works and what not, the team engages in a new way of Lean thinking that will be very beneficial at the moment when they will actually perform the workshop and put in practice, in the real workplace, what they’ve learned.
Company Name: Space Robotics Corp.
- Traditional manufacturing set-up
- Produces a high-quality product
- Has large raw material and work in process inventories
- Cannot deliver on time
- Has negotiated a new contract and it must improve their throughput
How will they manage to change their way of thinking and improve their operational effectiveness?
There’s one way to discover this: Get in the 5S Game!
The Lean 5S Game is designed for groups of 6-8 people. If you have more players, just buy more Lego pieces and use the same instructions. This 5S simulation can be played as a competition between teams.
The purpose of the game is to prove the benefits of implementing 5S in your organization.
By playing several rounds (assembling robots from blocks, before and after implementing Sorting and then Straightening) we will demonstrate how we can increase the throughput while using the same number of people
- 5S Basics
- Introduction of the 5S game
- Play Round 1
- Apply the 1st 5S technique: Sorting
- Play Round 2
- Apply the 2nd 5S technique: Straightening
- Play Round 3
- Discussions based on Results
- 5S Game Instructions (PDF slides)
- Trainee Manual (PDF slides and space for notes)
- Trainer’s Manual (PDF slides with foot notes)
- Printables (PDF slides)
- Bill of materials (a list of the required Lego blocks), plus the contact information for our Lego supplier (in case you don’t have a source already)
- ND Toys on bricklink.com
- 5S Online Training Module (learning online, at your own pace, to develop your skill, even to prepare to facilitate a 5S session for your team)
- 5S Training Presentation (to use for the 5S workshop)
- 5S Templates (they come as part of the Lean Templates)
- Lean Simulations Bundle (the entire collection of Lean simulations)
We do not sell the Lego blocks ourselves, but we’ll provide a list with all the blocks required, and the contact information of our supplier in the USA. This will ensure your costs are kept at a minimum
The simulation instructions come as a downloadable zip file, available immediately upon payment.