Cellular Layout Training Presentation is designed to help you achieve balanced work cell by continuing the Continuous Flow, and perform value flow analysis of the activities that create and support your product or service, and balancing the work between the stations in the work cell.
This presentation is supported by the Cellular Layout Online Training Module, and the Cellular Layout Simulation. We strongly recommend that they are used together during the training session, because this way your team can experience the true power of what they’ve learned.
Briefly, achieving a balanced work production cell means that all the tasks and activities are performed in such a way that the product proceeds from design to launch, order to delivery, and raw materials into the hands of the customer with no stoppages, scrap, or back flows, and you will be able to allocate more or less people in the cell based on the customer demand, achieving also level production.
By performing a thorough analysis of the flow of value (and value is considered the product or service your company provides), the constraints are identified, and eliminated or minimized.
Although you can start right away on this module, we strongly recommend you first do the following:
- Move from a functional organization to a value stream organization. Only then, you can see the whole pictures of how each department is aligned, and how they are able to contribute.
- And then, start the training and the application of the continuous improvement routines, and the problem-solving methodology. This way, it will be much easier to develop the strategic plan, of closing the gap towards the vision, step by step, year over year.
- Develop your Lean Policy Deployment (Strategic Plan). Value stream mapping is just a way to visualize and prioritize the activities that will be aligned to the vision of producing enhanced value to the customer in the shortest amount of time with minimum overall cost for the business. If the actions are not incorporated in the overall strategic plan, they will not get supported financially and otherwise, or else, what is the purpose of a policy deployment?!
- Draw the Current State Map using the Value Stream Mapping Methodology. Suddenly, now you have a good picture of the current state of the value stream you need to work on, and how it is linked to various value stream (product families). You also have access to financial and people resources, and everything is aligned to the true North. Without these ingredients, your effort will be local at best, and not sustainable, because it’s not enough to stop here, you will need to write instructions, set the standardized work, and train everybody, and this requires a lot of planning and collaboration.
- Go through the Continuous Flow training, because this module builds up on what we learned from creating flow.
The objectives of this training material are:
- Understand how to design the Work Cell
- Learn how to analyze the work content
- Be able to balance the work in the cell
- Cell Design Basics
- What is a Work Cell?
- Traditional Processes vs. the Work Cell
- Cellular Layout Benefits
- Evolution of Layouts
- One to One Layout
- Bird Cage Layout
- Isolated Islands
- Linear Layouts
- U-Turn Cell Layout
- Multiple U-Turn Cell Layout
- Designing a Cell
- Design Considerations (People, Equipment, Materials)
- 4-Step Implementation
- Product Family and Cell Layout
- Identify Product Family
- Design the Cell Layout
- Work Cell Consideration
- Visual Considerations
- Analyze the Work Content(Case Study)
- Takt Definition
- Theory of Constraints
- Identify the Bottleneck
- Analyze Work Content for Each Station
- Using the Standardized Work Combination Table Preview
- Balance the Work( Case Study)
- Using the Standardized Work Combination Table Again
- Percent Loading Example – Yamazumi Chart
- Cellular Layout vs. Functional Layout
- Keys to Success
- Where do we go from here? Program Roadmap
Based on the above, you can clearly see the benefits of this Cellular Layout training. It offers not only the theoretical components of the training, but also the step-by-step instructions that constitute the roadmap of designing the work cell.
Moreover, it offers the chance of discussing a case study that continues the case study from the Continuous Flow Module to determine the best way to proceed in a concrete situation.
- Cellular Layout Presentation (PDF slides)
- Trainee Manual (PDF presentation slides and space for notes)
- The Cellular Layout Online Training Module (learning online, at your own pace, to develop your skill, even to prepare to facilitate a Continuous Flow workshop for your team)
- The Cellular Layout Simulation Instructions (to follow The Cellular Layout Training presentation, to further your knowledge by playing a game)
- Lean Presentations Bundle (the entire collection of Lean presentations)
We highly recommend that the trainer goes through our online training to become versatile in training this Cellular Layout module, because this presentation constitutes the source for our Online Cellular Layout training.
The presentation comes as a downloadable zip file, available immediately upon payment.