The One-Piece Flow Game is a Lean simulation game developed by ELSE Inc. that brings your team together to learn how to institute Flow by playing.
One-Piece Flow Game can help you enhance efficiency and identify waste throughout a work system in a way that is both visual and engaging.
At ELSE Inc., we engineered this One-Piece Flow game that not only incorporates Lean concepts but fosters teamwork as well. It also demonstrates various important concepts, like the contrast between the traditional mass production system and the Lean Manufacturing system. The One-Piece Flow game allows players to understand the dynamics necessary to maximize throughput and minimize losses and inventory.
This simulation is supported by the Creating Continuous Flow Online Training, and the Continuous Flow Presentation. We strongly recommend that they are used together during the training session, because this way your team can experience the true power of what they’ve learned.
Briefly, achieving Continuous Product Flow means that all the tasks and activities are performed in such a way that the product proceeds from design to launch, order to delivery, and raw materials into the hands of the customer with no stoppages, scrap, or back flows.
Just learning the concepts is not enough to feel a deep sense of understanding. By actively experimenting with One Piece Flow simulations and applying what they’ve learned, in the safe environment of the classroom, yet being able to make mistakes and truly learn what works and what does not, the team engages in a new way of Lean thinking that will be very beneficial at the moment when they will actually perform the workshop and put in practice, in the real workplace, what they’ve learned.
Company Name: Space Robotics Corp.
- Traditional (batch) manufacturing set-up
- Produces a high quality product
- Has large inventories
- Cannot deliver on time
- Has negotiated a new contract and it must improve their throughput
How will they manage to change their way of thinking and improve their operational effectiveness?
There’s one way to discover this: Get in the game!
The game is designed for groups of 6-8 people. If you have more players, just buy more Lego pieces and use the same instructions. It can be seen as a competition between teams.
The purpose of the game is to prove the benefits of:
- implementing continuous flow (one-piece flow) and
- balancing the work load
By playing three rounds (assembling robots from Lego, before and after implementing a One Piece Flow system and then balancing the work), we will demonstrate how we can increase the throughput while using the same number of people
- Introduction of the One Piece Flow Simulation
- Operations Description
- Game Rules
- Data Collection
- Robot Assembly Picture, Bill Of Material
- Play Round 1 – Mass Production
- Work cell layout, Assembly Visual Aids for every station
- Collect Data and Identify Opportunities
- Play Round 2 – One-Piece Flow
- New Work Layout, Same Assembly Visual Aids
- Collect Data and Identify Opportunities
- Play Round 3 – Balanced Work
- Same Work Layout, New Assembly Visual Aids for every station
- Collect Data
- Discussions based on Results
- One-Piece Flow Game Presentation (PDF slides)
- Printables (PDF slides)
- Trainee Manual (PDF slides and space for notes)
- Trainer’s Manual (PDF slides with foot notes)
- Parts List (a list of the required Lego blocks), plus the contact information for our Lego supplier (in case you don’t have a source already)
- ND Toys on bricklink.com
- Creating Continuous Flow Online Training Module (learning online, at your own pace, to develop your skill, even to prepare to facilitate an
One-Piece Flow training session for your team)
- Creating Continuous Flow Training Presentation (to use for the Creating Continuous Flow in-classroom training or workshops)
- Lean Simulations Bundle (the entire collection of Lean simulations)
We do not sell the Lego blocks ourselves, but we’ll provide a list with all the blocks required, and the contact information of our supplier in the USA. This will ensure your costs are kept at a minimum
The simulation instructions come as a downloadable zip file, available immediately upon payment.