The Poke-Yoke Game is a Lean simulation game developed by ELSE Inc. that brings your team together to learn about Error-Proofing by playing.
Briefly, Poke-Yoke, or Error Proofing and Mistake Proofing are techniques that help operators avoid mistakes in their work caused by choosing the wrong part, leaving out a part, installing a part backwards, etc.
It involves the implementation of fail-safe ways methods that detect or prevent human and machine error at or near the source.
It provides instant feedback and prevention of quality problems.
Just learning the concepts is not enough to feel a deep sense of understanding. By actively experimenting and applying what they’ve learned, in the safe environment of the classroom, yet being able to make mistakes and truly learn what works and what not, the team engages in a new way of Lean thinking that will be very beneficial at the moment when they will actually perform the workshop and put in practice, in the real workplace, what they’ve learned.
Company Name: Astro Electronics Company
- Traditional manufacturing set-up
- Produces a poor-quality product
- Quality is checked at final inspection
- Operations – no error/mistake proofing
- Has rework loop
- Has negotiated a new contract and it must improve their operations, to be able to produce only good parts with no rework loop
How will they manage to change their way of thinking and improve their operational effectiveness?
There’s one way to discover this: Get in the Error-Proofing game!
The Error-Proofing game is designed for groups of 6-8 people. If you have more players, just buy more Lego pieces and use the same instructions. It can be seen as a competition between teams.
The purpose of the game is to prove the benefits of using Poke-Yoke or error proof devices in your operations.
By playing two rounds (assembling gadgets from Lego, before and after implementing Poke Yoke and in-station quality checks) we will demonstrate how we can increase the quality levels while using even a smaller number of people
- Introduction of the Error-Proofing Game
- Operations Description
- Play Rules
- Data Collection
- Widget Assembly Picture, BOM
- Play Round 1 – Mass Production
- Work cell layout, Assembly Visual Aids for every station, Various options for errors
- Final Inspection Gauge Assembly Instructions
- Collect Data
- Play Round 2 – Lean Production (In-Station Quality Gauge)
- New Work Layout, Assembly Visual Aids
- In-Station Gauge Specs
- Collect Data
- Discussions based on Results
- Poke-Yoke Game Instructions (PDF slides)
- Trainee Manual (PDF slides and space for notes)
- Trainer’s Manual (PDF slides with foot notes)
- Bill of materials (a list of the required Lego blocks), plus the contact information for our Lego supplier (in case you don’t have a source already)
We do not sell the Lego blocks ourselves, but we’ll provide a list with all the blocks required, and the contact information of our supplier in the USA. This will ensure your costs are kept at a minimum
The simulation instructions come as a downloadable zip file, available immediately upon payment.